Chocolate has been a beloved indulgence for centuries, but for those who follow a vegan lifestyle or have dietary restrictions, traditional chocolate can be off-limits due to its dairy content. Thankfully, there are now many dairy free alternatives available which don’t skimp on flavour!
In this exploration of ethical and dairy-free chocolate, we'll dive into the use of plant-based ingredients in place of dairy, discover top brands and flavours in the vegan chocolate market, and indulge in vegan chocolate dessert recipes that promise a sweet, cruelty-free treat. Plus, we'll explore some vegan-friendly products available at the Chocolate Box, a renowned source of sweet surprises.
Plant-Based Ingredients in Vegan Chocolate
Vegan chocolate is made without the use of any animal-derived ingredients, primarily focusing on plant-based substitutes for milk and dairy.
Vegan white chocolate recipes vary, and include a variety of ingredients to give it a creamy texture. Common ingredients are sugar, cocoa butter, coconut butter and oil, lecithin, and vanilla extract.
Vegan dark chocolate generally includes cocoa paste (cacao beans roasted and ground), sugar and an emulsifier (usually soy or sunflower lecithin).
Vegan ‘milk’ or ‘mylk’ chocolate generally contains cocoa butter, cocoa mass, sugar, and various ingredients to create the creamy texture, such as rice syrup powder, or any of the following plant-based milks:
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is a creamy and rich alternative to dairy milk, used in various vegan chocolate products.
- Almond Milk: Almond milk is a popular choice for its nutty undertones and mild sweetness. It blends seamlessly with chocolate, creating a delightful combination.
- Soy Milk: Soy milk is known for its neutral flavour and high protein content. It works well as a base for vegan chocolate products and contributes to a creamy texture.
- Oat Milk: Oat milk is becoming increasingly popular as a dairy alternative, and is a key ingredient in the Happy Oat brand of chocolate, sold at the Chocolate Box.
- Rice Milk: Light and sweet, rice milk is now commonly used in vegan chocolate, including in the specialty King Monty brand, available at Chocolate Box.
Top Brands and Flavours in the Vegan Chocolate Market
The popularity of vegan chocolate has led to a flourishing market with a wide array of brands and flavours. Here are some top brands and flavours to look out for, including Happy Oat, King Monty, and Love Raw:
- Happy Oat: Happy Oat Blocks are known for their delectable vegan chocolate creations. They incorporate oat milk into their products, creating a delightful range of flavours that are available at the Chocolate Box.
- King Monty: King Monty is celebrated for its 100% plant-based chocolate products. These dairy-free delights are a testament to the artistry of vegan chocolatiers and are available at the Chocolate Box.
- Love Raw: Love Raw offers a variety of vegan chocolate treats, including the popular White Cream Wafer, Salted Caramel Cream Wafer, and Milk Cream Wafer bars. These treats combine the sweetness of vegan chocolate with creative flavours, providing a delightful experience for chocolate lovers.
Vegan Chocolate Dessert Recipes for a Sweet, Cruelty-Free Treat
The versatility of vegan chocolate extends beyond bars and truffles; it can be used to create scrumptious desserts. Here are some vegan chocolate dessert recipes for you to try, along with the possibility of finding vegan-friendly products at the Chocolate Box:
- Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse: Blend ripe avocados with cocoa powder, sweetener, and a touch of vanilla for a silky-smooth chocolate mousse. Pair it with vegan chocolate-covered berries from the Chocolate Box for an extra indulgence.
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread: Upgrade classic banana bread by adding cocoa powder and dairy-free chocolate chips for a moist and indulgent treat. You might use Chocolate Box’s Moo Free Chocolate in this recipe.
- Vegan Chocolate Fondue: Melt vegan chocolate with coconut milk and serve it with an assortment of fruits, marshmallows, and pretzels for a fun and shareable dessert. (This also works as a source to pour over vegan ice-cream!) Check for vegan chocolate options at the Chocolate Box to use in your fondue.
- Vegan Chocolate Pots de Crème: These creamy, custard-like desserts are made with coconut milk, dark chocolate, and a hint of espresso for a luxurious ending to any meal. Look for vegan chocolate ingredients at the Chocolate Box to create this dessert.
- Vegan Chocolate Tart: Create a decadent chocolate tart with a dairy-free chocolate ganache filling, all nestled in a flaky vegan pie crust. Consider using vegan chocolate available at the Chocolate Box for your tart.
With plant-based ingredients, a growing market of top-notch brands, and a plethora of delectable flavours, vegan chocolate has become a beloved choice for chocolate enthusiasts and those with dietary preferences. Whether enjoyed as bars, truffles, or in delightful desserts, vegan chocolate offers an indulgent experience without compromising on ethics or taste.
So for your next gift, why not purchase vegan chocolate? The Chocolate Box offers a selection of vegan chocolates and treats, including options like Happy Oat, King Monty, Love Raw to satisfy your sweet cravings. Curate your own vegan hamper by searching for vegan products from our collection. Put together vegan chocolates with other vegan treats like peanut brittle and our Hot Chocolate Drinking Powder that happens to be vegan!